Add-ons are software components that extend the functionality of Kubernetes and provide capabilities such as logging, monitoring, security etc. for your applications.
You can deploy and manage add-ons across clusters using Nirmata.
Follow the below steps to complete the prerequisite for adding an application using the add-on functionality
Navigate to the default-addon-catalog (Catalog -> default-addon-catalog)
Click on the Add Application tab that is in the upper right corner. Provide a name to the application and choose type of the application source. choosing catalog or helm will launch a dialogue where the application’s YAML can be uploaded. Selecting git will project some more fields related to git credentials and details. Please refer to GitOps deployment with Nirmata for more details.
Navigate to the Application Model of the created application (Catalog -> default-addon-catalog -> «application created») and click on edit application using the vertical ellipsis to the upper right corner. Select the division group in the add-on-category where the application best fits and click on save
Deploying Add-On Services to a Cluster
Navigate to the cluster and click on the Add-ons tab located in the toolbar at the top
Click on Add an Add-on and select the application that needs to be installed to your cluster. Provide the application a unique name and environment it needs to be deployed in. Labels can be added to the application using the Labels field. Click on Add and this will build a row in the Add-ons section’s view that will provide the details and state of the application. System Tasks on the upper right side can be used to check the status of successful deployment of the add-on application.
Managing Add-On Services using a Cluster Type
A Cluster Type is a template that defines common configurations which can be used to create one or more clusters.
Applications can be configured as add-ons for the cluster type. All clusters created from this Cluster Type will then be configured with these add-on service
Follow the below steps to add-on application to the cluster type.
- Navigate to Policies -> Cluster Types -> Add Cluster Types and choose any cluster type, fill in the details according to the specific cluster provider type. Please refer Cluster Types for more details.
- Navigate to the bottom and expand the Add-on section. Click on Select Add-ons and select one or more application from the various division group.
- Click on Create and the cluster type will be created with add-on application selected. Clusters created using this cluster type will pick up the add-on applications selected.
Applications can be added as an add-on that are hosted in Git using Add-on functionality in Nirmata. Before that, Git needs to be integrated with Nirmata and then application can be defined in the default add-on catalog
Managing Add-On Services in a Git Upstream
Follow the steps below to complete to setup Git access:
- In the Integrations View (Settings -> Integrations) select the option Manage for Git.
- Next, Add Git Credentials and fill in the details and credentials. restricting access control policy can be achieved under Advanced section.
Once Git is integrated with Nirmata, follow the steps below to define the Git application in the default-add-on catalog:
- Navigate to the default-addon-catalog (CataLog -> default-addon-catalog) from the catalog list
- Click on the Add Application tab that is in the upper right corner. Provide a name to the application and choose type of the application source. Choose git in Type, fill in the repository URL along with the branch and other details, and click on OK. Namespace and directory lists can be selected under Advanced section.
- You can now see the application view (Catalog-> default-addon-catalog -> «application created»). On clicking Sync Now which is located in the upper right corner of the Git Connection section (Catalog-> default-addon-catalog -> «application created» -> Settings) the Git connection gets synched with the application.
- A Release can be created and published using the Release section (Catalog-> default-addon-catalog -> «application created» -> Releases). This can be achieved by selecting Click to create a release in the application view. Fill in the details, choose to publish the release, select the channel it needs to be published and click Create
- Navigate to the Application Model of the created application (Catalog -> default-addon-catalog -> «application created») and click on edit application using the vertical ellipsis to the upper right corner. Select the division group in the Add-on Category where the application best fits and click on Save
You can now deploy your application as an add-on in any cluster, and configure the add-on in cluster types.